Sunday, April 3, 2011

And the winner is...

Last night was our elementary school's Spring Auction, and it is always a fun night!  In fact, I think every year gets more enjoyable as we've gotten to know more people and have some really great friends to hang out with.  Two years ago, when Steve and I went to the auction for the first time, I was like a deer in the headlights trying to figure out the whole "silent auction" process.  Then, I showed up last year full of confidence that I had the system figured out--I tried to remember where my favorite bid sheets were, and kept revisiting them, but I was so caught up socializing that I didn't put in one last bid before the tables closed!  So this year, not only did I have to remember where my favorite items were, but I learned to do "the hover" in the last few minutes of the auction to scribble down that last bid.  We ended up with a few really fun experiences that I think Jason will enjoy:  a private tour of the State House, a tour of WGBH/Channel 2, four passes to the JFK Memorial Library, and a gift certificate to one of our favorite restaurants, Gibbett Hill Grill in Groton.
But the best part of the night is the live auction, and it's always fun and entertaining when there's a bidding war for a certain item.  It's amazing what people will do and spend for their kids:  a ride to school in a police car, a ride around town in a fire truck, a vacation package to Storyland, tickets to Disneyworld...who knew that I would sucked into the momentum and pratically beat my opponent with my paddle for a fabulous experience for Jason.  Does this kid look like the next Assistant Principal for a Day?



Jason is SO excited--he can't wait to dress up and follow Mr. Holms around the school, attending meetings, visiting classrooms, and otherwise ruling the school with an iron fist.  I just wish I could be a fly on the wall that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment